Sculptures are basically three-dimensional
artwork which are created painfully by shaping hard or plastic material or
stone & giving it a definitive shape & figure. These are either
created directly by carving where the things are assembled, built up &
fired, welded, molded, or casted. Since, it basically involves the use of
materials that can be molded or modulated, it is even considered as one of
the plastic arts & this art majorly figures in the public art.
Sculptures are found in varied types & these are easily distinguishable
from each other simply because of the carvings & designing. Some common
forms of sculpture are :
- Free-standing sculpture surrounded on all sides except the base by
space. Popularly known as "in the round" sculpture viewable
from every angle.
- Relief sculptures which are still attached to a background &
includes sub-types as bas-relief, alto-relief & sunken-relief.
- Site-specific sculpture art.
- Kinetic sculpture involving the physical motion aspects.
- Fountain sculptures designed with moving water.
- Mobile sculpture.
- Statues which are representationalist sculptures depicting in
particular a specific entity as in humans, events, animals or objects.
- Bust sculptures, generally the representation of a person from the
- Equestrian statue showing a significant person on horseback.
- Stacked art sculptures formed by assembling objects & 'stacking'
However, here some of the sculpture types have been elaborately defined
which are :